2020-2021 Graduate Catalog

Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawals

Adding Courses

  • Courses may be added during the first day of any short course, two-week course, or four-week course,
  • during the first two days of a six-week or eight-week course,
  • during the first four days of any course longer than eight weeks of instruction,
  • This includes adding a course, exchanging courses, dropping courses, and transferring from one section of a course to another section.

Dropping Courses

Student Initiated Drop

  • The student elects to unenroll from an individual course within the established academic calendar period.
    • Students may drop a course during the first 80% of any length course unless under a charge of academic dishonesty. (See “Fees and Costs” section.) 
    • Students who follow the prescribed procedure for dropping a course will have no grade entered on their permanent record (transcript).  
  • Students who do not follow the prescribed procedure for dropping a course will have a grade of “F” recorded on their permanent record.
  • If due to extraordinary reasons—beyond the control of the student—a student desires to drop a course after the deadline (late drop), he or she must petition the Associate Provost of Graduate Studies. Extraordinary reasons which may be considered include advisor error, administrative error, or documented medical reasons.  Students who are granted a late drop will have a "DR" entered on the permanent record.  
  • Students cannot drop all of the courses in which they are enrolled as that is defined as a "Withdrawal from the University".

Administrative Course Drop

  • During the drop period, an instructor of a course may request the Office of the Registrar to delete a student from the class roster due to nonattendance. The conditions listed below must be met to initiate the drop:
    • The course syllabus clearly states the conditions under which an administrative drop would be initiated.
    • The student is warned of a pending administrative drop and provided the opportunity, when possible, to remedy the situation.
  • Courses may not be dropped during the final exam period.

Withdrawal from the University

Student Initiated Withdrawal

  • Students who wish to terminate enrollment at the University (unenroll from all courses) during a term should initially consult with their advisor. If, after meeting with the advisor, a student decides to withdraw from the University, the student must complete an Exit Report in the Graduate Office in the Administration Building.
  • It is extremely important that a withdrawal be completed to ensure that proper entries are made on the academic transcript, that fee refunds are processed (See “Fees and Costs” section.) and that all University records reflect the withdrawal.
  • If a student cannot initiate the withdrawal process in person, he or she should write or email the Graduate Office, so that office can process the withdrawal.
  • Students who wish to withdraw from the University must do so before 80% of any semester or shorter-length term has expired.
  • A “W” will be recorded on the academic transcript for each class.
  • Students who do not follow the prescribed procedure in withdrawing from the University will have a grade of “F” recorded on the permanent record (transcript) for all courses.
  • If due to extraordinary reasons—beyond the control of the student—a student desires to withdraw from the University after the deadline, the student must petition the Associate Provost of Graduate Studies (contact the Graduate Office for details).

Academic Administrative Withdrawal

When it is in the best interest of Northwest Missouri State University for a student to withdraw, a student will be given a W, put on administrative hold, and given notice that they are about to be withdrawn. This action will result in removal of all credits associated with courses that have yet to be completed in the semester in question, and the student will be administratively withdrawn from the University. An administrative withdrawal does not affect the student's grade point average.

Consistent with the University definition of Administrative Withdrawal stated above, an Academic Administrative Withdrawal can be implemented should the following conditions arise:

• A student is administratively dropped from all enrolled courses during a semester. The Registrar will initiate the process for administrative withdrawal.

• Non-payment of fees. The Student Account Services Office will initiate the process for administrative withdrawal.

  • Students who are administratively withdrawn for non-payment of fees are prohibited from attending classes.

Academic Administrative Withdrawal Appeal: All students who are withdrawn under this policy have the right to appeal the decision to the appropriate Associate Provost. The appeal must be made in writing within ten business days of the withdrawal decision, and address reasons the student feels they should be reinstated. The appeal can include information not previously available, including extenuating circumstances that may not have been known. The Associate Provost has the ability to call together an ad hoc committee as needed and appropriate for the given situation. Suggested membership includes an appropriate appointee from the VP of Student Affairs, DEI, UPD, Registrar’s office, the student’s advisor, and if the student is an on campus resident, a member of Residential Life. The decision of the Associate Provost is final.

Academic Administrative Withdrawal Notice: The office initiating the administrative withdrawal must work with the appropriate Associate Provost and Registrar to activate the withdrawal. The Registrar’s office will place a hold on the student’s account. Upon the student being administratively withdrawn, the appropriate Associate Provost, or a designee, will inform the student. Additionally, the student will also receive written notice of the administrative withdrawal.

Readmission of Academically Administratively Withdrawn Students: Should the Administratively Withdrawn student choose to return to the university, the student must file a written request for readmission to the Provost at least 30 business days prior to the beginning of the term in which the student wishes to enroll. In order to be considered for readmission, the student must be able to demonstrate that they are prepared to return to classes and be successful in the University environment. Whether to grant readmission remains solely in the University’s discretion.