2020-2021 Graduate Catalog

International Transfer Students

In addition to the items listed under the "International Student Admission" section, graduate international students who are transferring to Northwest Missouri State University from another American university should also submit a Transfer Form to the Northwest Office of Admissions. This form can be found in the International Student Application or contact the Office of Admissions. Graduate international students must also meet the guidelines set by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service; check with your current institution.

The maximum graduate credit accepted for transfer is nine semester hours in no more than four courses. In order for graduate transfer credits to be evaluated, the prospective graduate student must also file a Degree Audit Form with the Northwest Graduate Office. To be considered for transfer credit, courses must have a grade of “B” or higher and may not be older than eight years at the time of degree completion.

Admission to Graduate Study

International students must meet all admission requirements as described in “Admission to Graduate Study.” Students must also meet any conditions described by a specific department.

Whether the undergraduate degree is from a foreign university or from an American university, graduate students should also submit the items listed in "International Student Admission." The prerequisites for admission to graduate school are:

  • A baccalaureate-level degree from either an accredited American university or a foreign institution. If the degree is from a foreign institution, the student may have to continue undergraduate studies to fulfill Northwest requirements.
  • A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale, or as required by program. Students who have a cumulative GPA between 2.20 and 2.49 may be admitted on a conditional basis. For admission to a specific program see the program requirements.
  • A score report from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test (if required by the program) must be submitted prior to consideration for acceptance if pursuing a Master of Arts, a Master of Science, a Master of Science in Education, or a Specialist in Education degree. M.S.Ed. School Counseling students must submit GRE general test scores before entry according to departmental requirements. If students are pursuing a Master of Business Administration degree, a score report from the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or major field achievement test must be submitted prior to consideration for acceptance.

The international student should allow approximately two months from the time all application documents are reviewed for notification of acceptance. Admission to graduate study does not constitute admission to a specific graduate program nor to candidacy for a degree.

An international student with an education degree from a foreign university may work toward an M.S.Ed. degree based on his or her undergraduate major, with the understanding that Northwest will not recommend him or her for certification anywhere in the United States unless he or she meets all certification requirements for educational programs as outlined in Northwest's current undergraduate academic catalog.

The student is eligible to study for the M.A., M.B.A., M.S., or Ed.S. degree if he or she meets admission and candidacy requirements as previously specified.