2019-2020 Graduate Catalog

Student Records

Northwest complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which provides guidelines on storage and releasing of student and former student records. Individuals may waive their rights to inspect records at Northwest, but the University may not require such a waiver as a condition to attendance.

Individuals may request a copy of their records, for a copying fee, from the following offices:

Academic Records: Office of the Registrar, Administration Building

Advisement Records: Graduate Office, Administration Building

Alumni Records: Office of University Advancement, Alumni House

Disciplinary Records: V.P. Student Affairs, J.W. Jones Union

Financial Assistance Records: Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance, Administration Building

Housing Records: Residential Life, J.W. Jones Union

Medical Records: Wellness Services

Placement Records: Office of Career Services, Administration Building

Security Records: University Police, Support Services Building

Student Teaching Records: Educational Field Experiences Office, Brown Education Hall

Teacher Education Records: Teacher Education Student Services Office, Administration Building

Information remains confidential between the individual and the University, and will not be released to a third party without the written consent of the student. Exceptions to this rule include information released to: Northwest officials, officials of other schools where the student is seeking admission, federal or state educational authorities, financial assistance officials in connection with the receipt of financial assistance, state law officials or subpoenaed requests, accrediting organizations, and parents of dependent students.

These parties will receive a notice that the information released to them must not be further distributed without the consent of the student.

The following records are not available for inspection by a third party: parents’ financial records, confidential letters of recommendation written before January 1, 1975, personal records of educators (e.g., instructor’s grade book), law enforcement or security records, employee records, and medical or other professional records, unless the individual wishes to have a qualified professional examine his or her record.

Certain information about a currently enrolled student – name, age, address, phone, e-mail address, place and date of birth, major, grade level, enrollment status, student identification number, photograph, participation in activities and sports, weight and height of athletes, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent educational institution attended is considered directory information and thus is releasable to the public. If a student does not want this information in the student directory, he or she should contact the Office of the Registrar, Administration Building, within the first 10 days of the beginning of the term.

Inaccurate records may be challenged through a hearing requested from the Vice President of Student Affairs. The burden of proof that a record is inaccurate lies with the student. An impartial hearing officer will be appointed, to whom the student will have full opportunity to present his or her case. If desired, a student may submit a written explanation of the content of a record, which will become part of the record.

For any further information on student and former student records and records privacy, contact the Vice President of Student Affairs.