2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog

Special Admissions

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

Individuals who do not wish to pursue a degree may apply and be accepted as an undergraduate non-degree-seeking student. The student must be 18 years of age or older. Proof of high school graduation is required for non-degree status; however, students who have graduated from high school within the last two years cannot be admitted as a non-degree student but instead must meet regular admission standards as outlined in Admission to Undergraduate Study. The ACT exam is recommended for advisement purposes. Students under academic and/or disciplinary suspension from this or any other institution may not be admitted in this category. A transfer student must be eligible to be admitted as a degree-seeking student. Non-degree seeking students are limited to an enrollment of six hours per semester and can only receive 18 semester hours credit as a non-degree-seeking student. To continue taking coursework beyond the 18-hour limit, a student will have to reapply as a degree-seeking student and must meet regular admission requirements. Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible to receive federal student financial aid.

Re-Admission of Former Students

Undergraduate students who have been absent from Northwest for one semester or longer (not including summer) must re-apply for admission. Students who have attended other universities since attending Northwest must submit a complete and official transcript of that college credit with their application for re-admission; coursework completed since attending Northwest must be at least “C” level work to qualify for re-admission. Students returning on probation or after being suspended must also provide an essay for re-admission. Contact the Northwest Office of Admissions for further information.

Visiting Students

A student may be admitted to Northwest through certification as a visiting student from another accredited college or university. The visiting student is required to present certification from an authorized person of the other institution (i.e., registrar, director of admissions, vice president, etc.) stating that the student is in good standing at the other institution. Contact the Northwest Office of Admissions for further information.

Adult Students

Anyone who is 24 years of age or older at the time of application will be considered an Adult Student. Admission for Adult Students will be based on their high school GPA or GED/HiSET score, and a personal essay. If available, ACT/SAT scores will be used for scholarship purposes and for course placement.


Based on the 2014 GED score standards, a student may be considered for admission after receiving an equivalency certification meeting the following criteria: a total score of at least 660. Scores from the HiSET exam, the high school equivalency test adopted by Missouri in 2014, are also accepted with a score of 75 or better. ACT/SAT is required unless applicant is an adult student. An official, partial high school transcript must also be submitted.

Early Release

High school students who have satisfied all the credit requirements for a diploma at their high school before completing eight semesters at their high school may be considered for early release admission to Northwest. In order to satisfy high school attendance requirements, a letter of early release from the Board of Education governing the high school should be on file in the Northwest Office of Admissions. The University is not responsible for monitoring attendance or academic performance for high school purposes. Students are limited to enrolling in lower-level courses.

Dual Credit for High School Students in Northwest Courses

High school students who have not yet graduated from high school may be enrolled at Northwest in an on-campus course, online course, or a course taught at the local high school while still attending high school. Students must submit a Dual Credit application for admission, along with an official high school transcript. In addition, the student must submit a letter of recommendation and release (for an on-campus course) from his or her high school counselor or principal for each semester enrolled when enrolling in dual credit coursework.

To be eligible to enroll in an on-campus or off-campus course for college credit, juniors and seniors must have an ACT or composite score of 21 or higher and have at least a 2.50 grade point average on a scale of 4.00 OR a Combined Percentile Index of 100 or higher and have at least a 2.50 grade point average on a scale of 4.00. Sophomores must have an ACT composite score of 21 or higher and have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a scale of 4.00 OR a Combined Percentile Index of 100 or higher and have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a scale of 4.00.  Freshmen must score at the 90th percentile or above on the ACT to be eligible to enroll and have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a scale of 4.00. In addition, placement exams and specific ACT sub-scores are required for select courses. Additional scores such as SAT, PLAN, ASPIRE, Pre-ACT and PSAT may also be considered. If dual credit is in a music activity, the student is also required to obtain the approval of the appropriate high school and University instructor.


Northwest Students at Conception Seminary College

In order to extend the range of course options, Northwest seniors and juniors have the opportunity to enroll for credit in certain courses at nearby Conception Seminary College in Conception, Missouri. The agreement is reciprocal: Conception Seminary College students are able to cross-register for Northwest courses. Students are eligible if they are in good standing at Northwest. The first nine semester hours earned at Conception Seminary College will be considered residence credit at Northwest.