Northwest is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
In addition to being accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Northwest programs are accredited by:
- Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- Council for the Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism & Related Professions (COAPRT)
- Missouri State Board of Education
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
The Professional Education Unit at Northwest Missouri State University is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), www.ncate.org. This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs at the Maryville campus and outreach centers in Kansas City and St. Joseph, Missouri. However, the accreditation does not include individual education courses that the institution offers to P-12 educators for professional development, relicensure, or other purposes.
Northwest receives an endorsement from the American Chemical Society (ACS) for chemistry programs.
Colleges and departments also maintain memberships in the following organizations:
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- Missouri Academy of Science
- Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE)
- Renaissance Group