Steps to Admission to Graduate School
- Submit an application for graduate admission. Applications are available online at www.nwmissouri.edu/graduate/index.htm
- Forward official copies of transcripts from all previously attended institutions to the Graduate Office. (Undergraduates of Northwest Missouri State University need not submit Northwest transcripts.)
- GRE or alternative requirements must be completed prior to acceptance or before the end of the first trimester of enrollment. (See program information for specific requirements.) Failure to have GRE requirement on file eliminates eligibility for a Graduate Assistantship. International students must have the GRE completed before the application can be processed.
- GMAT or GRE requirements must be completed before an application can be processed for the MBA program. Major Field Test of 70th percentile or higher will also be accepted in lieu of the GMAT or GRE. Some programs may consider a previous Master’s in lieu of the GMAT/GRE requirement. See departmental listing.
- Non-degree graduate students are not required to take the GRE.
- See individual program information in this catalog for specific program admission requirements.
- Letters of Recommendation when required (see program information for specific requirements).
- Goals Statement when required (see program information for specific requirements).
Steps Required During First Trimester
- Official final undergraduate transcript(s) must be submitted (if not previously provided).
- Official final graduate transcript(s) must be submitted (if not previously provided).
- Official GRE scores or alternative to the GRE; depending on the program.
- Complete Degree Audit Agreement -contact your advisor.
- Writing sample—contact the advisor.
Note: Above requirements must be met before further enrollment will be allowed.
Steps to Candidacy
- Official graduate transcripts for transfer credit (if applicable).
- Completion of at least 8 graduate hours (12 for Guidance and Counseling and Sport Psychology) required by the program.
- Valid teaching certificate or official PRAXIS results if required by program: must be on file in the Graduate Office prior to meeting the comprehensive assessment (for M.S.Ed. degree).
- Must maintain a 3.00 or better GPA at Northwest Missouri State University.
- Removal of deficiencies.
- Admission to Candidacy occurs after the Degree Audit Agreement is complete and above requirements for candidacy have been met. A degree-seeking graduate student may not continue past 15 graduate hours (18 for Guidance and Counseling) if he or she has not met requirements for candidacy. The Graduate Office will notify the student after he/she has been admitted to candidacy.
Steps to Graduation
- Complete and Submit the online Final Application for Comprehensive Assessment & Graduate Degree–required no later than the third week of the student’s final trimester (1st week during summer). The department will notify the student with specific date and time of assessment. This application must be filed even if the student does not intend to participate in the commencement ceremony.
- Last trimester of graduate study—check with the Graduate Office to make sure records are complete.
- Prior to Commencement—a commencement schedule will be e-mailed including cap, gown and hood order information.
- A one-time graduation fee will be assessed by the Cashiering Office; this fee must be paid even if the student does not participate in the commencement ceremony.
- Research Component must be submitted by the department.