Applied Health and Sport Sciences M.S.
The curriculum is composed of courses that present an in-depth knowledge base for the area of applied health and sport sciences. The courses and requirements in the program will allow students the opportunity to expand not only their knowledge, but also skills and competencies. Upon completion of the graduate program in Applied Health and Sport Sciences, students will possess the following competencies:
- Demonstrate knowledge in the area of physiology, personal training, exercise testing and prescription and intervention and behavior change strategies.
- Demonstrate skills for health screening, wellness assessments and risk stratification for potential diseases/conditions.
- Demonstrate research and inquiry competencies by completing the research core, by writing a research paper.
- Demonstrate professional and appropriate dispositions by completing a required field experience.
- Demonstrate advocacy and marketing skills by completing a required field experience.
Key Quality Indicators:
- Competence in discipline.
- Demonstrate applied health and sport sciences knowledge.
- Demonstrate applied health and sport sciences and wellness and/or wellness management skills.
- Demonstrate professional ethical behavior in the applied health and sport sciences and wellness profession.
This program of study is designed to prepare students to work, manage and interact in a variety of health, wellness, sport, rehabilitation, educational and/or fitness settings that could include sport management and administration, health and wellness promotion and exercise and lifestyle intervention and chronic disease risk reduction. Students who have not met prerequisite requirements for listed courses will be required to complete these requirements as part of their degree program.
Research Core Requirements (9)
|HPER 22636||Research Methods in Health, Physical Education and Recreation||
|HPER 22665||Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Data||
|HPER 22690||Research Paper||
1 to 4
Science Foundation Core Requirements (12)
|HPER 22555||Strategies and Interventions for Health Behavior Change||
|HPER 22529||Theory and Fundamentals of Strength and Conditioning/Personal Training||
| || ||
|HPER 22532||Exercise Testing, Prescription and Analysis of Cardiac Function||
|HPER 22682||Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries||
| || ||
|HPER 22680||Health Sciences Field Experience||
1 to 3
Electives in selected emphasis area (Wellness or Management) (12)
Wellness (Choose 12 Hours: HPER 22632 is required)
Sport Management and Administration (Choose 12 Hours: HPER 22681 is required)
Total Credit Hours: 33
M.S. Applied Health and Sport Sciences Program Completion Requirements
In addition to successful completion of the Nine Steps Toward a Master’s Degree (see catalog for description), successful completion of the following College of Education and Human Services and HHS departmental requirements are required:
- Completion of an approved fieldwork experience of 200 hours.
- Completion of an approved Plan of Study.
- Successful passage of Comprehensive Exams.
- Research Paper.